At Emmanuel College in Franklin Springs, Georgia, I taught SC110, “Introduction to Biology.” It was a class for those not majoring in biology. The textbook I used was Designs in the Living World, written by me and two of my friends: George Howe and Dennis Englin.
This book has several distinctives, the most notable of which is its being based on the assumption of Creation rather than Evolution. It is not the most up-to-date now, but it still contains the important subject matter for the beginning student, whether college or high school. The three of us authors are making Designs in the Living World available for free to anyone who wishes.
Below are links to the PDFs of the individual sections. In spite of the copyright notice in the Table of Contents, the authors grant you permission to download and print all or portions of the PDFs for personal use only. Please send me an email for other uses.
- Table of Contents
- The Raw Materials of Life
- The Molecules of Life
- The Units of Life
- Energy for Life: Respiration
- Energy for Life: Photosynthesis
- Perpetuation of Life
- Heritage of Life
- The Language of Life
- Interrelationships in Life
- The Origin of Life
- The History of Life: Different Views
- The History of Life: The Evidence
- Appendix 1: AIDS
- Appendix 2: Sources of Scientific Information
- Appendix 3: Scientific Etymology